EmerAid Intensive Care Herbivore®
Developed by an expert panel, including exotic animal veterinarians, emergency clinicians, and nutritionists, EmerAid Intensive Care Herbivore® is a high-fiber, semi-elemental diet designed to meet the needs of the critically ill herbivore.
EmerAid Intensive Care Herbivore is a part of the EmerAid System for Exotic Animal Critical Care, which is divided into three categories: Carnivore, Herbivore, and Omnivore. By using these products singly or in combination, many different ill exotic animals can benefit nutritionally.
- Available in 100-gram, 400-gram, and 2-kg pouches
- Designed for herbivorous mammals including rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas and herbivorous reptiles such as green iguanas and tortoises
- It can also be fed in combination with other EmerAid products to a variety of species, including box turtles, geese, mice and rats, gerbils and hamsters
- Powder is easily mixed with water to create a formula that can pass through tubes as small as 5-French
EmerAid Intensive Care Herbivore is a therapeutic diet to be used only under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator.
EmerAid IC Herbivore may be fed as a partial source of nutrition long-term or the sole source of nutrition for 10 days. Download our Basic Use Guide (3.9 MB).
Features and Benefits
This diet contains:
- High fiber content to enhance gastrointestinal motility. The primary source of fiber is cellulose, a relatively gentle source of fiber that will not irritate the already hypersensitive gastrointestinal tract of the critically ill herbivore.
- All essential amino acids, making protein more easily absorbable
- High levels of arginine and glutamine to meet the needs of the debilitated patient
- A highly digestible, easily absorbable blend of fats and simple carbohydrates for energy
- Balanced omega 3:6 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Dietary nucleotides to provide DNA and RNA precursors
- 100 g (3.5 oz) pouch
- 400 g (14 oz) pouch
- 2 kg (4.4 lb) pouch
Preparation, Administration & Expiration Date
WARNING: Emeraid has been scientifically designed for extremely high digestibility. Avoid contamination. Handle product carefully. Keep dry. Use a clean, dry scoop. Do not cross contaminate with scoops used with non-EmerAid foods. Contamination can cause harmful bacterial growth.
- The 400 g (3.5 oz) pouch and 2 kg (5 lb) tub come with a red scoop that has both large (1 tablespoon) and small (1 teaspoon) ends. Use the smaller end of the scoop to prepare a relatively small volume of formula. To prepare larger volumes of EmerAid, fill the large end of the scoop with powder.
- Measure level scoops, and do not pack the powder. Shake dry powder to facilitate mixing.
- Mix one part powder to one part hot water measuring 122°F (50°C).
- Stir the mixture until smooth
- Use a syringe to draw up the mixture. To minimize any risk of the tube plugging, do not load the feeding or gavage tube with formula until immediately before tube feeding.
- When mixed as directed, this product will pass through a 18-gauge stainless steel feeding needle and 5-French red rubber catheters.
- Feed your patient immediately whenever possible, and always within 30 minutes of food preparation.
- Keep the gavage tube and syringe in very warm water 103-105°F (39-41°C) until ready to feed.
In the adult animal, crop or stomach volume is estimated as 30 ml/kg (3% body weight). The first feeding is often one-third to one-half of this calculated volume, however the volume and number of feedings must be adjusted based on patient species and condition.
Feed as the sole diet for 10 days or less unless directed otherwise by your veterinarian. For patients with poor weight gain or malabsorptive conditions, EmerAid can also be mixed with the regular diet to boost enterocyte function and enhance digestion (25%-30% EmerAid; 70%-75% regular diet).
- Discard any leftover formula. Make formula fresh for each feeding.
- Flush and clean feeding syringe.
Storage and Shelf life
Use EmerAid Intensive Care Herbivore within 6 months of opening. Refrigerate EmerAid Intensive Care Herbivore after opening. The shelf life for an unopened package of EmerAid Intensive Care Herbivore is 18 months from the date of manufacturing or no later than the “Best Before” label on the package.
USA Ingredients & Guaranteed Analyses
Cellulose, soy protein hydrolyzed, corn syrup solids, rice gel flour, inulin, corn oil, defatted wheat germ, canola oil, sucrose, glutamine, ground limestone, dicalcium phosphate, potassium bicarbonate, iodized salt, DL-methionine (an essential amino acid), magnesium sulfate, choline iodized salt, DL-methionine (an essential amino acid), magnesium sulfate, choline chloride, cysteine (an essential amino acid), vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), copper sulfate, manganese oxide, zinc oxide, niacin supplement, calcium dipantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin, ascorbic acid, tryptophan (an essential amino acid), manganese sulfate, ethoxyquin (preservative), zinc sulfate, sodium selenite.
|Crude fiber (max)||32.00%|
|Crude protein (min)||19.00%|
|Crude fat (min)||9.50%|
2.95 kcal/gram dry weight
|Omega-3 fatty acids (min)||0.37%|
|Omega-6 fatty acids (min)||4.38%|
|Digestible carbohydrates||39.6 %|
Breakdown of Fiber Content
International Composition, Analytical Constituents and Nutritional Additives
Cellulose, Hydrolysed Soya Protein Concentrate, Pregelatinised Rice Flour, Corn Oil, Wheat Germ Expeller, Rape Seed Oil, Sucrose, Ground Limestone, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Bicarbonate.
|Analytical Constituents||*When made using a 1:1 ratio|
|Crude fats & oils||9,0%|
|Crude fibres (Max)||35,7%|
|Crude fibres (Min)||30,5%|
|Caloric content (ME)||2950 kcal/kg
|Manganese (Manganous sulphate, monohydrate E 5)||120,0mg|
|Zinc (Zinc oxide E 6)||80mg|
|Copper (Cupric sulphate, pentahydrate E 4)||8,0 mg|
|Vitamin A 3a672a||7700|
|IUVitamin D3 E 671||700 IU|