The first semi-elemental diet designed for the critically-ill fish eater. Developed by veterinarians and nutritionists, Emeraid Piscivore provides an easily absorbable and highly digestible blend of purified aminio acids, hydrolyzed proteins, stabilized vitamins, dietary nucleotides to provide DNA and RNA precursors, plus simple carbohydrates for energy. Fish oil is added just before feeding so that dietary fat level can be varied from 5% to 35%.
The International Bird Rescue finds Emeraid Piscivore to be an excellent stabilization diet for debilitated sea birds. International Bird Rescue has fed Emeraid Piscivore to hundreds of birds from dozens of species including Charadriiformes (gulls, terms, alcids), Ciconiiformes (egrets, herons), Gaviiformes (loons), Pelecaniformes (pelicans, cormorants), Podicipediformes (grebes), and Procellariformes ( fulmars, shearwaters).
- Available in 100-gram, 400-gram, and 2-kg pouches
- Powder is easily mixed with water to create a formula that can pass through tubes as small as 5-French
Emeraid Piscivore is a therapeutic diet designed to be used only under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator.
How to administer Emeraid Piscivore
Emeraid Piscivore® may be fed as a sole or partial source of nutrition.
After months of feeding Emeraid Piscivore® to hundreds of seabirds from dozens of species, International Bird Rescue has recommended Emeraid Piscivore® as a superior diet in the stabilization of debilitated seabirds.
Features and Benefits
Emeraid Piscivore® is a fish-oil based diet with fat levels that can be modified from 5% to 30%. Fish oil is added to Emeraid powder in-house.
Emeraid Piscivore® contains:
- All essential amino acids, making protein more easily absorbable
- Hydrolyzed protein and purified amino acids
- Stabilized vitamins
- Dietary nucleotides to provide DNA and RNA precursors
- Chelated minerals
- 100 g (3.5 oz) pouch
- 400 g (14 oz) pouch
- 2 kg (4.4 lb) pouch
|Crude protein (min)||44.50%|
|Crude fat (min)||4.40%|
|Crude fiber (max)||4.60%|
|Omega 3 fatty acids (min)||0.34%|
|Omega 6 fatty acids (min)||2.86%|
|Metabolizable energy (ME)||4.55 kcal/g dry weight
|ME at 10.5% oil||3.89 kcal/g|
|ME at 20.5% oil||4.46 kcal/g|
Preparation, Administration & Expiration Date
WARNING: Emeraid has been scientifically designed for extremely high digestibility. Avoid contamination. Handle product carefully. Keep dry. Use a clean, dry scoop. Do not cross contaminate with scoops used with non-Emeraid foods. Contamination can cause harmful bacterial growth.
Tube fed formula is absorbed best when the bird is warm and hydrated. In the adult bird, crop or stomach volume may be estimated as 50 ml/kg. In the debilitated patient or one with a past history of regurgitation, administer one-third to one-half of estimated stomach volume for the first feeding. Increase the volume fed over two to three feedings as long as feedings are well tolerated.
- Formula should ideally be prepared immediately before feeding and no more than 30 minutes before feeding. Reheating is not advised.
- Measure or weigh 3 level large scoop of powder (equivalent to 18.86 grams). Do not pack.
- Mix powder in hot water measuring 122°F (50°C) with fish oil just before feeding.
Total Fat Emeraid
for 90 ml
for 180 ml
05.6% 3 (20 g) 0 ml 90-180 ml 0.69 0.37 10.9% 3 1.25ml 90-180 ml 0.73 0.39 15.1% 3 2.5 ml 90-180 ml 0.80 0.45 19.8% 3 3.75 ml 90-180 ml 0.88 0.48 25.0% 3 5.50 ml 90-180 ml 1.02 0.57 29.6% 3 7.25 ml 90-180 ml 1.09 0.62
- Add 90 ml of water per 3 scoops of powder. Add up to 180 ml of water per 3 scoops for dehydrated or weak birds.
- Stir mixture vigorously using a whisk or mixing ball.
- Feed thicker diet (90 ml per 3 scoops) three times daily or diluted diet (180 ml per 3 scoops) six to seven times daily.
- Deliver diet with a species-appropriate feeding tube
- Discard any leftover formula. Make formula fresh for each feeding.
- Reduce the volume of Emeraid formula fed as the patient’s appetite for fish and strength improves.
- To avoid waterproofing problems in aquatic birds, feed diet at 5%-15% fat and pay careful attention to water quality.
Storage and Shelf Life
Store Emeraid in a cool, dry space, and refrigerate powder after opening. Use Emeraid Piscivore within 9 months of opening. Refrigerate or freeze fish oil.
Hydrolyzed soy protein, corn syrup solids, cellulose, defatted wheat germ, corn oil, glutamine (an essential amino acid), dicalcium phosphate, ground limestone, potassium chloride, DL-methionine (an essential amino acid), magnesium sulfate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), choline chloride, cysteine (an essential amino acid), taurine (an essential amino acid), ethoxyquin (a preservative), manganese oxide, niacin supplement, calcium dipantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, biotin, ascorbic acid, sodium selenite.