Emeraid Intensive Care Omnivore®
Developed by an expert panel including exotic animal veterinarians, emergency clinicians and nutritionists, this is the first semi-elemental diet designed for the critically ill omnivore.
Emeraid Intensive Care Omnivore is a part of the Emeraid System for Exotic Animal Critical Care, which is divided into three categories: Carnivore, Herbivore, and Omnivore. By using these products singly or in combination, many different ill exotic animals can benefit nutritionally.
- Available in 100-gram, 400-gram, and 2-kg pouches
- Designed for companion birds such as parrots, doves, chickens, finches and canaries, some lizards, as well as small mammals like sugar gliders and many rodents like squirrels, rats and mice
- It can also be fed in combination with other Emeraid products to a variety of species including the gerbil, hamster, rat, hedgehog as well as the bearded dragon, chameleon, skink, box turtle, and red-eared slider
- Powder is easily mixed with water to create a formula that can pass through tubes as small as 5-French
Emeraid IC Omnivore® is a therapeutic diet designed to be used only under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator.
Features and Benefits
Emeraid IC Omnivore® contains:
- All essential amino acids, making protein more easily absorbable.
- High levels of arginine and glutamine to meet the needs of the debilitated patient.
- A highly digestible and easily absorbable blend of fats and simple carbohydrates for energy.
- Balanced omega 3/6 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Dietary nucleotides to provide DNA and RNA precursors
- 100 g (3.5 oz) pouch
- 400 g (14 oz) pouch
- 2 kg (4.4 lb) pouch
|Crude protein (min)||20.00%|
|Crude fat (min)||9.50%|
|Crude fiber (max)||2.50%|
|Metabolizable energy (calculated)|| 4.06 kcal/g dry weight
|Omega 3 fatty acids (min)||0.38%|
|Omega 6 fatty acids (min)||5.80%|
|Digestible carbohydrates||47.8 %|
Preparation, Administration & Expiration Date
WARNING: Emeraid has been scientifically designed for extremely high digestibility. Avoid contamination. Handle product carefully. Keep dry. Use a clean, dry scoop. Do not cross contaminate with scoops used with non-Emeraid foods. Contamination can cause harmful bacterial growth.
- The 400 g (3.5 oz) pouch and 2 kg (5 lb) tub come with a red scoop that has both large (1 tablespoon) and small (1 teaspoon) ends. Use the smaller end of the scoop to prepare a relatively small volume of formula. To prepare larger volumes of Emeraid, fill the large end of the scoop with powder.
- Measure level scoops, and do not pack the powder. Shake dry powder to facilitate mixing.
- Mix three parts powder to two parts hot water measuring 122°F (50°C).
- Stir the mixture vigorously to avoid any hot spots until smooth.
- Fill the syringe with formula.
- When mixed as directed, this product will pass through a 18-gauge stainless steel feeding needle and 5-French red rubber catheters.
- Feed your patient immediately whenever possible, and always within 30 minutes of food preparation. Keep the gavage tube and syringe in very warm water 103-105°F (39-41°C) until ready to feed.
In the adult animal, crop or stomach volume is estimated at 30 ml/kg (3% body weight). The first feeding is often one-third to one-half of this calculated volume, however the volume and number of feedings must be adjusted based on species and patient condition.
Feed as the sole diet for 10 days or less unless directed otherwise by your veterinarian. For patients with poor weight gain or malabsorptive conditions, Emeraid can also be mixed with the regular diet to boost enterocyte function and enhance digestion (25%-30% Emeraid; 70%-75% regular diet).
- Discard any leftover formula. Make formula fresh for each feeding.
- Flush and clean the feeding syringe.
Storage and Shelf Life
Use Emeraid Intensive Care Omnivore within 6 months of opening. Refrigerate Emeraid Sustain Herbivore after opening. The shelf life for an unopened package of Emeraid is 18 months from the date of manufacturing or no later than the “Best Before” label on the package.
Glucose syrup solids, soy protein hydrolyzed, corn oil, canola oil, sucrose, cellulose, defatted wheat germ, glutamine, dicalcium phosphate, ground limestone, potassium chloride, manganese sulfate, DL-methionine (an essential amino acid), L-threonine (an essential amino acid), L-valine (an essential amino acid), L-cystine (an essential amino acid), choline chloride, L-lysine (an essential amino acid), L-taurine (an essential amino acid), L-isoleucine (an essential amino acid), L-tryptophan (an essential amino acid), L-arginine (an essential amino acid), vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), ethoxyquin (a preservative), copper sulfate, manganese oxide, zinc oxide, citric acid, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), niacin supplement, calcium dipantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin, ascorbic acid, sodium selenite.