Emeraid® Intensive Care™ HDN™ Feline
“Highly Digestible Nutrition” is a semi-elemental therapeutic diet scientifically designed for the critically ill cat. Developed by an expert panel, including critical care veterinarians and nutritionists, this therapeutic diet is easily absorbed and highly digestible.
- Available in 100-gram, 400-gram, and 2-kg pouches
- Powder is easily mixed with water to create a formula that can pass through tubes as small as 5-French
- When fed to growing or lactating animals, supplement the diet daily with 1% fish oil on a dry matter basis to ensure proper docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) levels
- Meets AAFCO nutritional requirements for feline maintenance
Indications & Contraindications
Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline is designed for debilitated patients that require an easily absorbed and highly digestible diet. Use Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline for nutritional support during:
- Critical Illness
- Post-operative period in debilitated patients
- Poor weight gain
- Anorexia, inappetance
- Acute kidney disease
- Hepatic lipidosis
- Infectious disease
- Autoimmune disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- Hepatic encephalopathy
Features & Benefits
- High energy (1.13-2.41 kcal/ml ME)
- 1 month shelf life after opening
- Goes through tubes as small as 5 Fr without clogging
- Excellent for bolus tube feeding or syringe feeding
- Appropriate low levels of carbohydrates and high levels of protein for the true carnivore
- High quality, easily digestible forms of protein aid tissue synthesis and maintain lean body mass
- Purified fiber sources to maintain intestinal motility and commensal microflora
- Cellulose serves as a source of insoluble fiber and acts as a prebiotic
- Essential amino acids to meet the needs of the metabolically stressed patient
- Enriched in branched chain amino acids to benefit muscle synthesis and repair
- Hydrolyzed soy protein minimizes gastrointestinal hypersensitivity. These highly digestible macronutrients prevent and manage osmotic diarrhea, as is associated with completely elemental diets
- Glutamine and arginine support immunity and antioxidant systems
- Enterocyte health maintained and supported allowing for the maximum absorbable nutrition in the gastrointestinal tract
- Omega-3 fatty acids to modulate the inflammatory response and aid in tissue synthesis
- Synergistic antioxidants vitamin E, vitamin C, zinc and taurine to defend against oxidative stress
- A-casozepine or dehydrated casein supports digestion of fats and tissue synthesis while providing anxiolytic properties
- L-tryptophan, a precursor for the synthesis of serotonin to reduce stress
- Dietary nucleotides provide RNA and DNA precursors to support the immune system, nourish the gastrointestinal tract, and assist in weight gain
- Corn syrup solids essential for acute carbohydrate needs associated with debilitation. Partially hydrolyzed starch supplies glucose, disaccharides, and oligosaccharides, which avoids the osmotic problems associated with feeding only glucose
- Balanced electrolytes
- Stabilized vitamins and chelated minerals
- Neutral pH
- Free of artificial colors and preservatives
- Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid
- Meets AAFCO nutritional requirements for all life stages
Storage, Handling & Expiration Date
Store Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline in a cool, dry space. The shelf life of unopened Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline is approximately 18 months from the date of manufacturing (see the “Best Before” label). Refrigerate after opening. Use Emeraid HDN within 1 month of opening.
***WARNING*** Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline has been scientifically designed for extreme digestibility. Avoid contamination by handling the product carefully. Keep the powder dry until ready to mix with water, and use a clean, dry scoop. Do not cross-contaminate with scoops using non-Emeraid foods as contamination can cause harmful bacterial growth.
Look for the “Best Before” label on the package.
Ingredients & Nutrient Profile
Hydrolyzed soy protein, corn oil, dehydrated casein, corn starch, canola oil, dehydrated whole chicken egg, cooked chicken, glucose syrup solids, dehydrated chicken liver, defatted wheat germ, cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, glutamine, potassium chloride, ground limestone, glutamic acid, taurine (an essential amino acid), DL-methionine (an essential amino acid), choline chloride, L-threonine (an essential amino acid), citric acid (a natural preservative), mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative), L-lysine (an essential amino acid), L-carnitine, L-tryptophan (an essential amino acid), magnesium sulfate, copper-lysine, cysteine, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, niacin supplement, zinc oxide, carotene, d-calcium pantothenate, biotin, riboflavin supplement, sodium selenite, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, manganese oxide.
Download the Feline Emeraid HDN Nutrient Profile PDF (229 KB)
|Fiber, total (max)||2.61||%|
|Phos total (min)||1.03||%|
|Vit A w/o b-carotene||12000.00||IU/kg|
|Linoleic, alpha n-3||0.78||%|
Use a syringe to draw up the mixture. When finished, flush and clean the feeding syringe. Make fresh for each feeding. Discard remaining food after each feeding.
For your convenience and your patient’s benefit, standard mixing directions have been updated in 2016:
|Feeding Style ||Emeraid Powder|
|Tube (10Fr or larger)||1.5||2||1.65|
|* “Parts” indicate the proportions needed. To mix Emeraid HDN, you can use the scoop provided, a syringe cap, or any measuring implement of your choice as long as the proportions described above remain consistent
** Mix with hot water measuring 122°F (50°C)
*** Metabolizable energy when made as directed
|Emeraid Intensive Care HDN pouch (g)||Number of tablespoons a per container b|
a 1 scoop = 1 tablespoon (tbsp)
b 1 tbsp of Emeraid Intensive HDN weighs 9 grams and the numbers in parentheses reflect these precise calculations
|How many kcal per scoop of Emerad HDN Feline?|
kcal/g x 9g
|*1 scoop = 1 TBSP|
Adult Cat Feeding Recommendations
See our Basic Use Guide
Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline is a therapeutic product to be used under the supervision of a veterinarian. Begin with 25% to 30% of daily caloric requirements and gradually adjust the volume and number of feedings based on patient condition. A volume of 5-10 ml/kg/feeding is generally well tolerated via esophagostomy or gastric tube. Calculate Resting Energy Requirement (RER) by using the following: RER = [70 x BW(kg)0.75].
When fed for longer than 1 month, supplement Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline daily with 1% fish oil on a dry matter basis. When Emeraid HDN is fed to lactating animals longer than 1 week, it is recommended that the diet be supplemented daily with 1% fish oil (DMB). The NRC recommends a level of 0.025 g/1,000 kcal ME of a combination of DHA and EPA for both kittens and adult cats.
Table 1. In adult cats, Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline feeding recommendations are based on predicted resting energy requirements (RER)a
a From Ramsey JJ. Determining energy requirements. In: Fascetti AJ, Delaney SJ (eds). Applied Veterinary Clinical Nutrition. Wiley-Blackwell: Ames, Iowa, 2012. Pp. 33-36 and and Thatcher CD, et al. Small Animal Clinical Nutrition: An Iterative Process. In Hand MS, Thatcher CD, Remillard RL, Roudebush P, and Novotny BJ (eds). Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 5. MMI, Topkea, KS, 2010.
c Emeraid Intensive Care HDN Feline contains 4.646 kcal/grams (1 scoop = 1 tbsp = 9g)
d Recommendations based on 3:2 mixing ratio and RER. See our Feeding Example below.
Kitten Feeding Recommendations
Kittens have relatively high energy requirements when compared to adult cats. Emeraid ® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline meets or exceeds requirements for all life stages with the one exception of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) levels. When Emeraid HDN is fed to growing animals longer than 1 week, it is recommended the diet be supplemented daily with 1% fish oil (DMB). The NRC recommends a level of 0.025 g/1,000 kcal ME of a combination of DHA and EPA for both kittens and adult cats.
Table 2. Emeraid ® Intensive Care HDN™ Feline feeding recommendations based on predicted daily energy requirements (DER) in the average kitten.
d Daily energy requirements for kittens less than 4 months of age were calculated as 3 x RER where RER = 70 x BW(kg)0.75
e Emeraid Intensive Care HDN Feline contains 4.646 kcal/grams (1 scoop = 1 tbsp = 9g)
f Recommendations based on 3:2 mixing ratio and RER. See our Feeding Example below.
Debilitated, anorectic 6-year old domestic shorthair cat weighing 5 kg (11 lb) BCS 3/5
Photo courtesy of Ann Wortinger, BIS, LVT, VTS (ECC, SAIM, Nutrition)
Feedings are cautiously planned for every 4 to 6 hours in this patient. Dividing 97 ml by 4 gives us approximately 24 ml per feeding. Begin with 30% to 50% of this estimated volume for the first feeding: ~7 ml to 12 ml.
Evaluate the Patient’s Feeding Response
Did the patient accept this feeding well? Does the food appear to be tolerated by the patient’s GI tract?
If yes, increase the volume fed gradually over the course of two to three feedings. Frequency and volume should be adjusted based upon patient response, but a cautious plan could be:
|First meal:||1/3 of calculated energy requirements||~ 7 ml|
|Second meal:||2/3 of calculated energy requirements||~ 14 ml|
|Third meal:||3/3 of calculated energy requirements||~ 24 ml|
|If patient still tolerates the increase in frequency and in volume of Emeraid® Critical Care HDN™ Feline, continue feeding per below:|
|Daily meals:||24 ml four times/day|
Patients requiring long-term (4+ weeks) nutritional support may remain on Emeraid® Intensive Care HDN™. If the patient is able to tolerate more whole nutrients they may gradually be transitioned to Emeraid® HDN™ Sustain™ Recovery Nutrition, under the direction of a veterinarian. Emeraid® Sustain™ HDN™ Feline is indicated for patients recovering from a critical illness but are not ready for their normal diet.