Emeraid Intensive Care Carnivore®
Emeraid Intensive Care Carnivore is a high protein, semi-elemental diet designed for the critically ill exotic carnivore. Emeraid IC Carnivore provides an easily absorbable and highly digestible balance of proteins, fats, plus simple carbohydrates for energy.
Developed by an expert panel including exotic animal veterinarians, emergency clinicians and nutritionists, Emeraid IC Carnivore is a part of the Emeraid System for Exotic Animal Critical Care, which is divided into three categories: Carnivore, Herbivore, and Omnivore. By using these products singly or in combination, many different ill exotic animals can benefit nutritionally.
- Available in 100-gram, 400-gram, and 2-kg pouches
- It has been used successfully in a variety of species including ferrets, birds of prey, frogs and toads, lizards (e.g., leopard geckos, monitors, anoles, Caiman lizards, plated lizards) and snakes
- It can also be fed in combination with other exotic Emeraid diets to a variety of species including box turtles, bearded dragons, skinks, chameleons, aquatic turtles, geese, many free-ranging songbirds, and hedgehogs*
- Powder is easily mixed with water to create a formula that can pass through tubes as small as 5-French
Emeraid IC Carnivore is a therapeutic diet designed to be used only under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitator.
*Emeraid Carnivore can be fed to aquatic animals, however their needs are best met with Emeraid Piscivore.
Emeraid Intensive Care Carnivore is designed to meet the metabolic needs of the critically ill exotic carnivore or insectivore and may be fed as a sole or partial source of nutrition. Download our Basic Use Guide (3.9 MB).
Features and Benefits
Emeraid® IC Carnivore contains:
- All essential free amino acids and hydrolyzed soy protein for optimal absorption of protein
- High levels of arginine and glutamine to meet the needs of the debilitated patient
- A highly digestible blend of fats and simple carbohydrates for energy
- Balanced omega 3/6 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Dietary nucleotides to provide DNA and RNA precursors
- 100 g (3.5 oz) pouch
- 400 g (14 oz) pouch
- 2 kg (4.4 lb) pouch
|Crude protein (min)||37.80%|
|Crude fat (min)||33.95%|
|Crude fiber (max)||4.46%|
|Metabolizable energy|| 5.14 kcal/g dry weight
1.67 kcal/ml when prepared as directed
|Omega-3 fatty acids (min)||1.40%|
|Omega-6 fatty acids (min)||11.00%|
Preparation, Administration & Expiration Date
WARNING: Emeraid has been scientifically designed for extremely high digestibility. Avoid contamination. Handle product carefully. Keep dry. Use clean, dry scoop. Do not cross contaminate with scoops used with non-Emeraid foods. Contamination can cause harmful bacterial growth.
- The 400 g (3.5 oz) pouch and 2 kg (4.4 lb) tub come with a red scoop that has both large (1 tablespoon) and small (1 teaspoon) ends. Use the smaller end of the scoop to prepare a relatively small volume of formula. To prepare larger volumes of Emeraid, fill the large end of the scoop with powder.
- Measure level scoops, and do not pack the powder. Shake dry powder to facilitate mixing.
- Mix the powder with hot water measuring 122°F (50°C).
- Mix one part powder to two parts warm water.
- Stir the mixture vigorously to avoid any hot spots until smooth.
- Fill the syringe with formula. To minimize any risk of the tube plugging, do not load the feeding or gavage tube with formula until immediately before tube feeding.
- When mixed as directed, this product will pass through a 18-gauge stainless steel feeding needle and 5-French red rubber catheters.
- Feed your patient immediately whenever possible, and always within 30 minutes of food preparation. Keep the gavage tube and syringe in very warm water 103-105°F (39-41°C) until ready to feed.
- Discard any leftover formula. Make formula fresh for each feeding.
- Flush and clean feeding syringe.
Storage and Shelf Life
Store Emeraid in a cool, dry space, and refrigerate powder after opening. Emeraid Carnivore has an 18-month shelf life from the time of production, and should be used within 9 months after opening.
Hydrolyzed soy protein, canola oil, corn oil, corn syrup solids, cellulose, defatted wheat germ, glutamine, ground limestone, dicalcium phosphate, DL-methionine (an essential amino acid), potassium chloride, magnesium sulfate, L-lysine (an essential amino acid), cysteine (an essential amino acid), taurine (an essential amino acid), tryptophan (an essential amino acid), vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), ethoxyquin (a preservative), copper sulfate, manganese oxide, zinc oxide citric acid, mixed tocopherols (a preservative), niacin supplement, calcium dipantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid, biotin, ascorbic acid, sodium selenite.